Cribb Island received its name from J.G. Cribb, the son of Brisbane Council Alderman, Robert Cribb. 150 acres (0.61 km2) of land was bought from the Queensland Government in 1863. In 1885, Cribb sold 65 ofthose acres to James Jackson for the purpose of growing bananas. This area became known as Jackson’s Estate. The land that wasn’t used by Jackson was leased out to livestock farmers.
Archive photos courtesy John Oxley Library, State Library Qld.